Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Training

Last year we had record snowfall, 135 inches if I remember correctly.  This year we were below average until the end of March when we got 14 inches.  Then the days after got really cold, -5 at my house.  Just over this past weekend (less than 2 weeks after we got 14 inches) we got another 10 inches, so now we are nearly 1 foot above average snowfall for the season.  To add to that, we have another 12+ inches on the way starting tomorrow, which means we could have as much as 3 feet of snowfall in as many weeks.

Despite this however, I have managed to at least get some running in, although not as much as I would like.  However, I do feel that I am building a strong base (about 40 miles per week) that will enable me to quickly ramp up to 50, 60, and 70+ miles per week once the snow melts.  Running lately with all of this snow has been tough, and slow. But, I keep telling myself some is better than nothing when it comes to running and that the snow will melt eventually.  Another positive note is that other than a small flare up of a nerve issue and some sore muscles now and then, my body is holding up well and responding nicely to the demands of snow running.

With that said, here are a few pics I have taken and my totals for the first 3 months of the year.

January - 89 miles, 15:50, 3,700 ft
February - 104 miles, 18:50, 5,000 ft
March - 141 miles, 25:29, 5,300 ft

The short section of single track by my house.  This was taken a few days ago just after we got the 14" of snow at the end of March. 

Powerline pass on a gorgeous evening a little over a week ago.  Still a lot of snow to melt.  


This is what running in April in Alaska is like. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jared,
    Been running here in Mat-Su in less than optimal as well. Hang in there! I did notice that my recent runs on ice/snowless roads has been faster than I would have expected. I chalk this up to difficult snow running this winter. "What doesn't kills us makes us stronger"
    See you at Respass Ultras and good luck on the big national ultras! Hope you make Western States!
    Ray

    ReplyDelete